Curious to see what mermaiding is all about? Join us for a class or event in September!
We'll be offering the following Mermaid courses in the pool September 9-10, 2023:
We’re headed to Lake Phoenix in southern Virginia September 16-17, 2023 for a weekend of training and fun! This will likely be the last Advanced Mermaid course offered this year (as it will start to get too chilly without wetsuits soon).
Join us for a Mermaid class:
- Advanced Mermaid - Saturday
- Sunset Mer Photoshoot - Saturday
- Mermaid Against Debris - Sunday
- Emergency Oxygen Provider - Sunday
- PADI Mermaid Instructor training also available
Shellabrate PADI AWARE Week (Sept 16-24) with a Mermaid Against Debris!
AWARE Week encourages and inspires the global dive community to lead or take part in conservation activities and courses focused on local action for global impact. Help us kick off the week with a Mermaid Against Debris!
Mermaid Against Debris Specialty
Join our a PADI AWARE Mermaid Against Debris course (Advanced Mermaid certification required) and help lend a fin in the fight against marine debris.
Sadly, many dive sites and beach accessible water around the world contain evidence of negative human impact on the environment in the form of debris. This can be any sort of trash, rubbish, or recycling.
What You Learn
First, find a site that has debris. Then we go about planning our attack and figuring out how to remove what we can. Cataloguing what we find is where we see the true impact of our efforts immediately. We'll also cover the following topics:
- About marine debris, the damage done, what it is, where it comes from, and how divers are part of the solution
- How to establish a Dive Against Debris survey, the survey frequency, sites, profiles, and equipment. Also, the use of photography and knowing what to leave behind.
- How to make your surveys count. The five easy steps to report the debris you've removed to maximize each survey's benefits.
- How to join the global Project AWARE movement of scuba divers protecting the ocean.
Emergency Oxygen Provider
Breathe easy knowing that you know how to administer emergency oxygen. Being the best buddy (scuba/mer/freediver) you can be means being prepared – especially in a time of need.
What You Learn
• Suspect illnesses treatable by emergency oxygen
• Properly setup equipment
• Administer emergency oxygen
Sunset Mer Photoshoot
Finally, we're looking into offering both underwater and land-based photo shoots that weekend. Interested? Let us know! Sunset would be the perfect time to capture your fall/Halloween siren vibes...